LLTI Archives

December 2007, Week 2

From:
Date:
Mon, 10 Dec 2007 15:13:18 -0500
--- Forwarded Message from "David Pankratz" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2007 13:42:43 -0600
>From: "David Pankratz" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum"
>Subject: Track names when burning CDs

Dear all,

We are experiencing a vexing problem. When we digitize audio tracks from vinyl
albums (using an Ion USB turntable and Audacity) and then burn them onto CD's,
the track names are being lost. So when we pop the CD into either a Mac or a
Windows machine, the audio recordings are fine, but there are no track names
visible. I purchased both Toast 8 for Mac and Windows Media Creator for PC,
thinking this big hammer approach would allow my very adept student worker to
solve the problem. Numerous attempts later, he reports that it is still not
working. He writes:

"We need to be able to edit the CD title and the track names independently of
any CDDB, but "CD text" is not the solution. It is a common option that is
ostensibly read by certain home and car stereo equipment, but it does not work
in iTunes or Windows Media Player. It does, however, show up when a CD is
digitized by certain programs, and when a disc is inspected through "Disc info"
in Toast 8."

Can anybody shed some light onto this problem? Maybe we are missing an obvious
solution. We just want to be able to burn CD's and have the track names appear.

Thanks!
David Pankratz
Loyola University Chicago

Language Learning (http://iallt.org/), and The Consortium for Language Teaching