LLTI Archives

December 2007, Week 1

From:
Date:
Thu, 6 Dec 2007 14:01:22 -0500
--- Forwarded Message from Annelie Rugg <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 16:36:13 -0800
>Subject: Re: #8712 Deployment strategy: Intel Mac machines + OS X + Windows +
Active Directory
>From: Annelie Rugg <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum

Dear David,
A couple of my colleagues here at UCLA had some help to share, which I post
here on their behalf. --Annelie Rugg, Instructional Technology Coordinator,
UCLA Center for Digital Humanities

From Salvador Zapien <[log in to unmask]>
    Carbon Copy Cloner is not meant for a multiple machine deployment of a
single image. It's better used for backing up a single machine and
restoring it to itself. NetRestore (made by the same guy who makes CCC)
should be used for taking both the Mac and PC sides of a dual boot
image. NetRestore 3.3 supports NTFS partitions.
    I believe if you run Sysprep on the Windows side before you take an
image, you can prepare that image to then be deployable to other
machines (e.g. you can have Sysprep setup to rename a new machine on the
first time it boots). Without knowing how familiar David Kanig is with
Sysprep and Windows imaging utilities, I can't really say more.

From Charles Ahn <[log in to unmask]>
    From I'll just add that for our laptops, we don't bind them to AD from
Windows or OS X. For us, the advantages of binding don't outweigh the
issues our users see when they roam around with the laptop and AD is
unavailable.