LLTI Archives

December 2007, Week 1

From:
Date:
Wed, 5 Dec 2007 12:59:22 -0500
GALT (Glossing Authentic Language Texts) was an IBM-based template
developed by Mary Ann Lyman-Hager;  she was at Penn State then, but
is now Director of the Language Acquisition Resource Center (LARC) at
San Diego State ([log in to unmask]).  She created GALT versions
of 21 French texts -- poems, songs, stories, the first chapter
of  Une Vie de Boy -- which are (were?) sold by Wiley & Sons --  CD
Rom, I think -- called "A L'aventure".  GALT was a sophisticated
template that allowed teachers to create all the annotations you
describe, but I don't think it's still available.

A similar template called ART, which is web-based, has been created
at the Yale Center for Language Study as part of a suite of nine
web-based templates funded by the Dept. of Education International
Research and Studies program.  Go to http://cls.yale.edu/, and under
Technology click on COMET.  You'll find information and sample
activities for the templates and contact information if you want to
follow up on them.

         Best,
                 Nina Garrett

Language Learning (http://iallt.org/), and The Consortium for Language Teaching