LLTI Archives

December 2007, Week 1

From:
Date:
Tue, 4 Dec 2007 13:15:27 -0500
--- Forwarded Message from "Kanig, David" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Subject: Deployment strategy: Intel Mac machines + OS X + Windows + Active
Directory
>Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 16:55:47 -0500
>From: "Kanig, David" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>

I'm trying to determine a basic strategy for deploying a single image on
multiple Intel Macs that will:

(1) run OS X and Win XP, not necessarily simultaneously; and
(2) enable binding to Active Directory for both OS X and Win XP

I believe that requirement (2) means that I cannot use NetBoot, because AD will
not allow multiple Windows clients to have a single computer name (though AD
will allow multiple OS X machines to do so). If this is *not* true, I would very
much appreciate learning how NetBoot can be used with an image that includes
Windows bound to AD.

I have tried unsuccessfully to distribute from a FireWire box an image of OS X
10.4 running Parallels and Win XP: I used CCC to create on a bootable FireWire
box an ASR disk image of a prototype machine. Booting each lab machine from the
FireWire box, I used NetRestore to propagate that image (and I planned to use
DeepFreeze to hold the machines in stasis). I renamed each machine manually in
both OS X System Prefs and in Windows > Control Panel > Computer, and then
attempted to bind both operating systems to AD. However, once bound, Windows
crashed consistently on restart.

This brings me to attempting to use Boot Camp + Win XP, propagated by FireWire
box. Early experiments have failed, because CCC fails to take up an image of the
prototype Boot Camp machine: "There was an error during copying .HFS+ Private
Directory Data from source to target: ditto: /Volumes/Macintosh HD/.HFS+ Private
Directory Data: No such file or directory Would you like to ignore this error or
stop?" Could this error be due to the presence of a Windows partition on the
machine?

Folks, please advise. have you been able to get OS X and Windows, plus
authentication to AD for both, on multiple machines?

David Kanig
Manager, Technical Services
Language Resource Center
Brown University