LLTI Archives

November 2007, Week 3

From:
Date:
Mon, 19 Nov 2007 14:38:23 -0500
--- Forwarded Message from Duncan Charters <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 23:06:21 -0600
>To: [log in to unmask]
>From: Duncan Charters <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: #8698 Slide Digitizing

From Ed Dente:

Here at home, I have 35 years' worth of slides (thousands) that I need
to begin digitizing. ...Hammacher-Schlemmer advertises a slide to digital
converter for $100
http://www.hammacher.com/publish/74083.asp

Any thoughts on this as an expedient and inexpensive digitizing tool?
Any suggestions on a different approach for this home project?

In advance, thanks!
Ed

Ed,

We have a similar problem. Below is a column from the Epson newsletter, and
my follow-up. Unfortunately no reply from Epson either individually or in
their newsletter. I would love find the best solution for this one, as our
project has been pending for far too long.  Canon I believe have similar
equipment to what is described here, though Epson publicity is more
specific about slide restoration software for digitizing.

Duncan Charters
Language Department Chair and Faculty Coordinator, Language Center
Principia College, Elsah, IL 62028-9799

<<Dear Barbara
I am preparing to scan a large number of 35mm slides into my computer, and
then print pictures from some of them. Do you have any helpful hints before
I embark on this project? Thank you for your help!
Alvin

Hi Alvin,
Thanks for your email. Yes, you can put multiple slides on your scanner
simultaneously - the number depends on which scanner you have (the higher
priced models have a larger light source in the lid, thereby allowing you
to place more slides on the scanning bed). The Epson Perfection(R) V100 Photo
scanner allows you to scan up to four slides at a time in batch mode. The
Epson Perfection 4490 Photo scanner also allows you to scan up to four
slides at a time in batch mode. In addition, it includes Digital ICE(TM),
which allows you to remove scratches and dust from the slides. Finally, the
Epson Perfection 4990 Photo scanner allows you to scan up to eight slides
in batch mode and includes Digital ICE as well. Hope this helps!
Barbara >>

Follow-up questions from Duncan Charters (no answer):

We too have a very large slide scanning project for pre-Columbian materials
that would cost over $6000 if done professionally, and would like to use
student assistants at our College to do the slide scanning and digitizing,
as we want to produce CDs of the slides and also store them on our server.
We have been told this may not give consistent results, but it seems that
current technology would make it more feasible. You mention Digital ICE
software. In a Best Buy I saw one of your scanners (at $204) which claimed
to be able to restore old faded slides, which is what we have in some
cases. Is this the same software or something different? Which one of your
scanners would be the best for this project, when different people are
scanning and we need the best possible results to get them all digitized?
Is it the Perfection 4990? When scanning 8 slides, does the software adjust
to each one if they are of different quality, or would that have to be done
individually? Any guidance would be much appreciated, or let me know where
to call or write to discuss this project so that we can purchase the right
scanner for it.

Language Learning (http://iallt.org/), and The Consortium for Language Teaching
Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.