LLTI Archives

November 2007, Week 2

From:
Date:
Wed, 14 Nov 2007 05:16:34 -0500
--- Forwarded Message from "Dente, Edmund N." <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Subject: Slide Digitizing
>Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 12:02:22 -0500
>From: "Dente, Edmund N." <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum"

Hi,
This is a little off-topic, but I wonder if you can help with this question.
Here at home, I have 35 years' worth of slides (thousands) that I need to begin
digitizing. Because most of them are Ektachrome, many are already past their
expected color dye life span, which, if I remember correctly, is 25 years. Some
- Kodachrome -- have a much longer life without color shift, but there still is
some urgency (such as the limited future availability of slide projector lamps)
in digitizing them.
Hammacher-Schlemmer advertises a slide to digital converter for $100 that is
described here:
"Slides and negatives are placed into a tray that aligns each properly; the
touch of a button scans the image instantly. It has a 5MP CMOS sensor that
provides 10 bits per color channel for data conversion, and uses fixed focus and
automatic exposure control and color balance, resulting in clear digital images
without loss of resolution."
Here is the URL for this unit:
http://www.hammacher.com/publish/74083.asp

Any thoughts on this as an expedient and inexpensive digitizing tool? Any
suggestions on a different approach for this home project?

In advance, thanks!
Ed
(While we're at it, any thoughts on headset sanitiz....errr, sorry, never mind.
*grin*)
"Hanno ammazzato compare Turiddu!"
                      -Mascagni, Cavalleria Rusticana
Edmund N. Dente
Director, Language Media Center
Ass't Director, Media Services
Tufts University           Medford, MA 02155
[log in to unmask]             617.627.3036

Teaching
Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.