LLTI Archives

November 2007, Week 2

From:
Date:
Thu, 8 Nov 2007 09:59:59 -0500
--- Forwarded Message from "Takeshi Sengiku" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Subject: speech cognition and cultural video/image for French and Italian
>Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 16:26:53 -0500
>From: "Takeshi Sengiku" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Cc: "Takeshi Sengiku" <[log in to unmask]>

[Apologies for cross-postings]

Dear colleagues,

I have two questions I am hoping to get some information on, regarding
the materials and programs for French and Italian.

The French/Italian Department at my institution asked me if there are
any self-guided pronunciation programs for French and Italian and I was
wondering if anybody can recommend any software programs.
As far as I search the website and software available at our Language
Resource Center, there are three programs which have speaking activities
- Tell Me More, Rosetta Stone, and Learn French now.  However, I think
Tell Me More and Rosetta Stone are focusing on recognizing pitch and
intonation, not much on phonetic sounds themselves.  I think 'Native
Accent' by Carnegie speech could do the recognition more in depth.  But
I haven't explored it yet.  My sense is that the faculty members may be
looking for some program for students to practice and train producing
[r]'francais' or 'merci' in French, for example.

Do you know any other software programs which incorporate speech
recognition or speaking activities?

Another question is on the collection of cultural video
clips/pictures/images for French and Italian classes?  If you know or
use any materials as such that you use for classes in your institution,
please let me know.

Any information is appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Sincerely

Takeshi
++++++
Takeshi Sengiku
Director of Language Resource Center
Lecturer in Asian Studies Department
Coordinator for Self-Instructional Arabic Language program
Gettysburg College, Gettysburg, PA
Email: [log in to unmask]
Phone: 717-337-6340
++++++