LLTI Archives

October 2007, Week 5

From:
Date:
Wed, 31 Oct 2007 07:21:30 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from "John Mark Esposito" <[log in to unmask]>
---

>From: "John Mark Esposito" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "'Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum'"
>Subject: Rosetta Stone / Tell me more
>Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 14:23:48 -0400

I couldn't agree more with Peggy's take on this, but I wanted to add my two
cents.

Some of our French professors have gone through the Rosetta Stone curriculum
guides in order to create a sort of concordance to go along with the text
book that we are using for the first levels of French, Allons-y.  I know
that it took some work to do, but it seemed to work well with those classes.
So, for example, if the students were studying a unit on the family, they
would practice the exercises in RS that dealt with the family vocabulary.
Again, as Peggy stated, it works best for vocabulary development.

As far as Tell Me More is concerned, I believe the speech recognition aspect
of the program is bit more sophisticated than RS.  However, the best use
that I have see for TMM is when it is used for independent learning.  The
program allows you to create a basic guideline of how many hours you want to
study per day, week, etc, and also to concentrate on one particular aspect,
such as listening, or to have everything integrated.  I have seen many
graduate students needing to brush up on their skills or people who have
studied languages in the past but wanted a refresher.

Good luck!

Teaching
Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.