LLTI Archives

October 2007, Week 4

From:
Date:
Fri, 26 Oct 2007 13:24:52 -0400
(1) from  [log in to unmask]

I would instead suggest to run the content through a VBrick video encoder and to
either serve it off an existing streaming server or off a VBrick server,
on-demand, over the network.

--- Ed Garay
    Assistant Director for Academic Computing
    University of Illinois at Chicago - ACCC
    www.accc.uic.edu/itl

    [sent from a mobile BlackJack Windows smartphone]

(2) from [log in to unmask]

Hi, Rachida;

Audio & video cables out of the DVR (Dish box) to a DVD-R machine, start
recording on the DVD-R, hit play on the DVR, stop and finalize when it's over.

Best,
Karl Fisher
Visiting Lecturer of Spanish
NCCU
Durham, NC

(3) from  [log in to unmask]

Hi Rachida,

We're using a Dell Media Center PC for all of our satellite recording from Dish
Network.  It works extremely well (even though it's running Vista!) and has
built in functionality for burning directly to DVD.  The other thing that's
great about recording programming with Media Center is that you can pull down
customizable guide information and schedule your recordings either on site or
over the internet.

I suppose for your DVR to DVD project, you could connect your audio and video
output from the DVR to a DVD recorder and then burn / finalize the disc from the
DVD recorder.

Please feel free to give me a call at the number listed below or shoot me an
e-mail if needed.

Best regards,

John Verbick
Director, Modern Languages Learning Center
Instructor, Spanish
Department of Modern Languages,
      Literatures, and Linguistics
University of Oklahoma
Kaufman Hall 229
Norman, OK 73019
(405) 325 1352

(4)  from  [log in to unmask]

We usually record from the Dish DVR to a VHS tape and then the VHS
tape can be converted to DVD.
--
Helen F. Stapleton
Director, E.L. Kellerman Language Lab

(5) from Thomas Hammond

We have had very good results with the portable device PocketDish, which can
be used privately for faculty preparation and can be connected to classroom
projector for use in class. This is a specific version of the Archos
portable media player. I believe the distinction is that the
PocketDish includes the chip needed to decrypt the Dish Network content.

Thomas Hammond, Director
Harvard University Language Resource Center

Language Learning (http://iallt.org/), and The Consortium for Language Teaching
Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.