LLTI Archives

October 2007, Week 4

From:
Date:
Thu, 25 Oct 2007 14:40:57 -0400
I have been very pleased with Tell Me More Education Network Version. We
purchased 50 licenses for 7 different languages. I like that it has almost
300 activities for most levels and includes reading, writing, listening
and speaking. Our professors mostly use it with their students for
practicing pronunciation.

Rosetta Stone is completely different software. It has a voice recording
part for pronunciation practice, but it doesn't work quite as neatly as
the Tell Me More one. Rosetta Stone is really designed just to increase
vocabulary very quickly through repetition and building on each set
learned. Some students like that and some students don't. Most professors
find too many grammar mistakes to push RS much, but you have to remember
that it's focus is on vocabulary.

Both are good software run via the network. Personally, I'm hoping that
the next version of Rosetta Stone will smooth out some of the logistics of
negotiating the software so that it works more like Tell Me More. But our
students use both of them frequently.

Thanks.

Peggy Marcy
Supervisor, Language Learning Center