LLTI Archives

October 2007, Week 4

From:
Date:
Thu, 25 Oct 2007 14:40:47 -0400
(from Calico List)

Dear all,

I am looking for comments, thoughts, and any research available on
the ELLIS
language learning software. Our labs have offered ELLIS for about seven
years and we are now at a point where we are really considering what
value
it has added to our student learning.

We have four labs (80 machines total) at our IEP and use them as lab
classrooms for our ESL program as well as for self-study space for
students
to practice their English. Our software selection has evolved over time
based on student needs and reviews by students & teachers. To make this
brief, I am of the belief (based on observation and student feedback)
that
it really doesn't add any value besides being a collection of videos
with a
fancy interface and loosely designed sentence level practice with
very weak
feedback.

I would welcome any thoughts on ELLIS and it's effectiveness for ESL
learners that may support (in addition to a survey that I will be
passing
out to my students) my argument to our admin. about reconsidering the
ELLIS
upgrade (now owned by Pearson's). I would also like ideas for
alternatives -
software or web-based self-guided options for ESL learners for
general ESL
practice.

Thanks a lot for your time.

Best,