LLTI Archives

October 2007, Week 2

From:
Date:
Mon, 8 Oct 2007 13:47:08 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from "Lauersdorf, Mark R" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Lauersdorf, Mark R" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
>Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2007 12:22:32 -0400
>Subject: Call for Papers - Language Technology at KFLC 2008
>acceptlanguage: en-US

Hello all,

If you haven't yet been to "LangTech at the KFLC", here is your opportunity
to join us for language technology in the Bluegrass!

This year's conference inaugurates an initiative targeting technology for
literature, culture, and linguistics teaching and research.

I hope to hear from you.

Mark Lauersdorf

P.S. A .pdf version of this Call for Papers is available for you to share
with your colleagues in the language programs who may not be on LLTI.
Please let me know if you would like one.

CALL FOR PAPERS -- LANGUAGE TECHNOLOGY

In its third year as an official division of the Kentucky Foreign Language
Conference the Language Technology group is inaugurating a new initiative.

In addition to the traditional 3-day series of sessions discussing the use
of technology to enhance the acquisition of language skills, this year's
"LangTech at the KFLC" is soliciting papers for a parallel 3-day series of
sessions devoted specifically to Technology for Literature, Culture, and
Linguistics.

For this new series of sessions, abstracts are invited that focus on the use
of technology in literary, cultural, and linguistic teaching and research,
including but not limited to:

- integrating technology into literature, culture, and linguistics
classrooms
- technology as a tool for student projects and research in literature,
culture, and linguistics
- faculty research in literature, culture, and linguistics employing
technology tools ("digital humanities")

For the traditional sessions, abstracts are welcome in all other areas and
aspects of technology and language, such as:

- using tech tools and techniques for language instruction in all skills and
on all levels
- guiding language educators toward optimal use of technology in their
teaching and research
- employing technology-based research and publication in language
scholarship
- managing language technology in an academic setting

The KFLC has a tradition of attracting scholars from a broad range of
languages and specializations.  This year's conference will have sessions in
Arabic, French, German, Hispanic, Italian, and Luso-Afro-Brazilian Studies,
as well as Second Language Acquisition.  We would like to see this broad
range represented in the Language Technology sessions, to encourage
cross-pollination of ideas among the individual languages and disciplines
working to integrate technology into their teaching and research programs,
and to encourage participants from the various literature, culture, and
linguistics sessions to join us in our discussions.

Abstracts should be no more than one page (250 words) in length and should
be submitted directly online at:

http://www.stoa.org/kflc2/submit.php?cf=6

In view of the multi-language audience that we hope to attract to all
Language Technology sessions, the recommended language of presentation is
English.

Deadline for submission of abstracts and panel proposals is 15 December
2007.
[Note that this is later than the general KFLC abstract submission date.]

All proposed abstracts will be considered for inclusion in the KFLC program.
Acceptance of a paper implies a commitment on the part of the participant(s)
to register and attend the conference.  All presenters must pay the
appropriate registration fee by 15 February 2008 to be included in the
program. The conference will take place 17-19 April 2008 on the campus of
the University of Kentucky in Lexington.

For more information on conference logistics, please visit:

http://www.uky.edu/as/kflc/

For specific information on the Language Technology sessions, contact the
division leader at the coordinates listed below.

We look forward to seeing you in beautiful springtime Kentucky for the
continuation of past successes and the start of an exciting new series in
literature, culture, and linguistics at "LangTech at the KFLC"!

Mark Lauersdorf

-----------------------------------
Dr. Mark Richard Lauersdorf
KFLC -- Language Technology division leader

Associate Professor of Languages and Linguistics
Director of Language Technology
Department of Modern & Classical Languages
Department of Hispanic Studies
1055 Patterson Office Tower
University of Kentucky
Lexington, Kentucky 40506-0027, USA