LLTI Archives

October 2007, Week 1

From:
Date:
Mon, 1 Oct 2007 14:42:30 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from "David Pankratz" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 14:12:36 -0500
>From: "David Pankratz" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum"
>Subject: Re: #8644 Does your center have a Mission Statement?

Rick,

Thank you! This is very helpful.

David

______________________

David Pankratz
Director, Language Learning Resource Center www.luc.edu/llrc
and Adjunct Professor, German
Modern Languages & Literatures Department
Loyola University Chicago
6525 N. Sheridan Road
Chicago, IL 60626

Email: [log in to unmask]
Tel:  773-508-2846
Fax: 773-508-2893
______________________

>>> Rick Kern <[log in to unmask]> 9/28/2007 8:45:55 AM >>>
Dear David,

Here's our mission statement from the Berkeley Language Center:

Founded in 1994, the Berkeley Language Center is a department in the
Division of the Arts and Humanities of the College of Letters and
Sciences. The BLC's mission is to support the learning and teaching
of heritage and foreign languages on the Berkeley campus and, where
appropriate, in the University of California system. To meet this
overarching goal, the BLC employs numerous strategies to improve
teaching effectiveness and enhance the learning environment:
	*	Provide language instructors with opportunities to
learn of new developments in the fields of sociolinguistics, language
pedagogy, and second language acquisition theory;
	*	Support research by language instructors and its
dissemination at professional meetings and in professional journals;
	*	Support faculty production of new language learning materials;
	*	Provide faculty and students with state-of-the-art
learning facilities and equipment;
	*	Provide faculty and students with access to language
learning materials;
	*	Maintain a library and media archive of materials for
language teaching and research.

Best wishes,

Rick Kern