LLTI Archives

October 2007, Week 1

From:
Date:
Mon, 1 Oct 2007 14:42:26 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from "Dressler, Monika" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Subject: RE: #8644 Does your center have a Mission Statement?
>Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 13:54:03 -0400
>From: "Dressler, Monika" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum"

Hi David,
The University of Michigan LRC's Mission Statement is:
"The mission of the Language Resource Center is to serve, support and
promote the study and instruction of foreign languages, cultures, and
literatures at all levels within the University of Michigan community."

The clarifying sentences regarding vision and purpose which accompany
the LRC's mission statement are:
"To fulfill this mission, the Language Resource Center provides
leadership and excellence in the application, creation, and
dissemination of innovations with respect to information, technology,
media, and materials for all University individuals who utilize foreign
languages in their studies, teaching, or research.
In addition to supplying diverse resources and services to the
University community, the LRC is dedicated to strengthening foreign
language instruction at the University of Michigan by informing faculty
and GSI's of theoretical and practical developments in the following
fields: language pedagogy, teaching methods, educational research,
language acquisition, instructional technology, evaluation and
productivity."

A couple of reminders:
A mission statement should be short and indicate where you want to go
and why (it should be the one sentence equivalent of the elevator
pitch).  Accompanying statements of vision are useful, but stay away
from included facts about operational details.

The Berkeley Language Center has a great mission statement. You should
definitely take a look at it.
So do:
Central Piedmont Community College
The Defense Language Institute's Foreign Language Center
North Georgia College and State University

At one point in time Union College also had a fabulous list of Purpose
Statements and Goals, but that was longer than a mission statement.

Hope this helps!
Good Luck!!!

Moni

Monika R. Dressler, Ph.D.
Director, LSA Instructional Support Services
Director, Language Resource Center
University of Michigan
Ann Arbor, MI  48109-1027
Tel. 734.936.1958