LLTI Archives

October 2007, Week 1

From:
Date:
Mon, 1 Oct 2007 13:38:37 -0400
Dear David,

The Language Learning Center at Cal State San Marcos wrote its own
mission statement last year. We previously had a general description of
services that was more technical and less about values. It took the tone
of something like: "Our mission is to support students learning language
with the best technology."

I asked the student tutors and student receptionists to participate in
reviewing and suggesting changes/additions to the mission statement
process; few responded, but those that did had great ideas, and now I
feel confident that the mission statement includes all employees'
visions.

Our new mission statement is: "The Language Learning Center offers to
all members of the university community a variety of comprehensive
support services that develop meaningful communication in multiple
languages, by creating an environment that respects different cultures,
by remaining on top of new technology and pedagogical methods, and by
making exciting innovations of its own."

Let me know what you end up doing! I'm curious about other ways to draw
in the student staff, market the LLC on campus, and generally keep us
doing a great job.

Cheers,
Hilary

Hilary S. Comerchero, Director
Language Learning Center
California State University San Marcos
333 S. Twin Oaks Valley Road
San Marcos, CA 92096-0001

Office Location: University Hall Room 222, then Room 206
Office Phone:  760-750-4197

LLC Location: University Hall Rooms 240 & 260
LLC Phone: 760-750-8058
LLC Fax: 760-750-3313
LLC Website: http://www.csusm.edu/llc

The Centers for Learning & Academic Support Services (CLASS) promote
student success for a diverse university population by mentoring,
fostering communities, and providing resources for academic excellence.
CLASS is comprised of the Educational Opportunity Program, Language
Learning Center, Math Lab, Student Support Services/TRIO, and Writing
Center.

Language Learning (http://iallt.org/), and The Consortium for Language Teaching
Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.