MACSCRPT Archives

October 2007

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Bruce Robertson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Oct 2007 11:36:49 -0700
On 10/13/07, Chuck Pelto <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I just moved to FMP9a.
>
> I'm noticing that calls made to tables by using their name, e.g.,
> show every record of table "aTable" whose cell......
>
> ....doesn't work. Saying table 1 works. But not calling the table by
> its name.

Tables and layouts are entirely different.

A table is the complete underlying data table. It has no found set, no
sort order, no current record. It is always in creation order. You
cannot "show" a table. You cannot "find" records in a table. You can
get and set data VERY quickly using table references but you must
refer to the records by ID or some other identifier that correctly
idenfiies the record you want to work with.

From your description it sounds like you may want to use layout
references. Remember that you must specify the window.

A Filemaker database may have any number of open windows and may have
any number of layouts, each of which can  be based on the same or
different tables. each layout (if based on a different table
occurrence) can have a separate found set and separate current record.

A window can have a current layout and thus a current record
associated with the layout. But frequently you will be better of
accurately specifying the window, layout, and record you want to use.