MACSCRPT Archives

October 2007

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Richard Morton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Oct 2007 09:44:20 +1000
On 24/10/2007, at 9:21 AM, John Baltutis wrote:

> On 10/22/07,  Levon Spradlin <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> I get an AppleScript Runtime Error when trying this simple code. I am
>> copying it from known working tutorial scripts, thinking that my
>> syntax was
>> off in my project. It makes my head hurt when simple does not
>> work. AmI
>> doing something wrong?
>>
>> tell application "Finder"
>> set theDesktop to path to desktop as Unicode text
>> end tell
>>
>> Finder got an error: Can't make desktop into type constant.
>
> Wrong app. Try:
>
> tell application "System Events"
> 	set x to path to desktop as Unicode text
> end tell

Actually, it works fine to tell Finder as long as the correct syntax
is used:

tell application "Finder"
	set theDesktop to the desktop as Unicode text
end tell

The problem is that "path to" is a Standard Additions command and the
term "desktop" is defined by both Finder and the OSAX.  In a "System
Events" tell there is no conflict.

This also works without any app tell:

path to desktop as Unicode text