LLTI Archives

September 2007, Week 1

From:
Date:
Wed, 5 Sep 2007 13:20:37 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from "Bob Peckham" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Subject: opening: Director of Language Resource Center
>Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 19:03:32 -0500
>From: "Bob Peckham" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>

I am sending this for my friends in the

Department of Foreign Languages and Linguistics
http://www.uwm.edu/Dept/FLL/

of the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.

TBob

==

University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
(College of Letters and Science, Milwaukee WI 53201-0413)

Director of Language Resource Center

http://www.uwm.edu

The UW-Milwaukee College of Letters and Science invites applicants for a
full-time (12 month) position as Director of the Language Resource Center
(Instructional Program Manager II) to begin in October, 2007.

The Director will: 1) collaborate with faculty in applying technology to
language instruction (Arabic, Chinese, ESL, French, German, Greek, Hebrew,
Hmong, Irish, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Laotian, Latin, Polish, Portuguese,
Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Yiddish); 2) administer daily operations,
budget, staff, and multiple functions of the LRC; 3) offer and/or organize
workshops in using technology in language pedagogy and assessment of
proficiency, including TA orientation; 4) evaluate, test, and implement
multi-media materials for language learning; 5) provide training and support to
faculty, staff, and students in computer-based pedagogy; 6) serve as a liaison
with the College$E2s IT group. The Director normally will teach one language
course per year.

The successful candidate must have an M.A. or Ph.D. in a language, SLA, or
related field, native or near-native fluency in a language other than English,
and at least two years experience or training in instructional technology.
Strong administrative, organizational, and interpersonal skills; experience in a
language center; excellence in classroom teaching; and a commitment to
pedagogical innovation and collaboration are highly desirable.

Review of applications will begin on August 15, 2007 and continue until the
position is filled. Send letter of intent, curriculum vitae, and three letters
of reference to Dr. Kathleen Wheatley, Search and Screen Chair-Language Resource
Center Director, Department of Spanish and Portuguese, P.O. Box 413, University
of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Milwaukee, WI 53201-0413.

UWM is an AA/EEO employer and educator strongly committed to maintaining a
climate supporting equality of opportunity and respect for difference based on
gender, culture, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, marital status,
race, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, age, and lawful activities.
We particularly encourage applications from individuals who would enhance and
diversify our workforce.

==

Robert D. Peckham, Ph.D
Professor of French
Chair, AATF Commission on Advocacy
Director, Muriel Tomlinson Language Resource Center
Director, Globe-Gate Intercultural Web Project
Director, Andy Holt Virtual Library
Department of Modern Foreign Languages
Univ. of Tennessee at Martin / Martin TN 38238
Email: [log in to unmask]

Language Learning (http://iallt.org/), and The Consortium for Language Teaching
Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.