LLTI Archives

September 2007, Week 1

From:
Date:
Fri, 7 Sep 2007 14:38:27 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from "Detiveaux, Georges J"

>Subject: accommodating a severely dyslexic student
>Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2007 08:39:06 -0500
>From: "Detiveaux, Georges J" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Cc: <[log in to unmask]>

See below for info on FL teaching & disabilities...

georges detiveaux
language labs, http://www.cy-faircollege.com/languagelabs
french, http://faculty.nhmccd.edu/gdetiveaux
cy-fair college, 9191 barker cypress road, lrnc-212a, cypress, tx 77433
ph 281.290.5975 fx 281.290.5282

affiliate rep to actfl, iallt, iallt.org
secretary, socallt, socallt.org
vice president, aatf-houston, aatfhouston.com

< Mult ad apris ki bien conuist ahan. > la Chanson de Roland, vers 2524.

--- Forwarded Message from Tammy Berberi <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2007 11:39:51 -0500
>From: Tammy Berberi <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: accommodating a severely dyslexic student

Dear all,

Has anyone used a voicing software program, such as Dragon Naturally
Speaking, to allow a beginning FL student with severe dyslexia to
complete written assignments? I doubt this would even work because of
the demands of training the program to recognize a voice. Can anyone
offer effective alternatives to producing written work for a beginning
foreign language (in this case, French) course?

Thanks much,
Tammy

--
Tammy Berberi, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of French

Office: Humanities 216
tel 320.589.6264
fax 320.589.6253

Mailing address:
Division of Humanities
600 East Fourth Street
Morris, MN 56267

The National Clearinghouse on Disability and Exchange and
American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages
presents

Foreign Language and Disability TeleTraining

Learn the Tools to Create Inclusive Classrooms and Overseas Study
Programs

Foreign language professors will share their knowledge and experiences
on:

Historical and theoretical overviews of disability

Methodologies inclusive of Deaf, hard of hearing and hearing students

Adaptive technology for teaching blind, low-vision and sighted students

Overseas programs designed to accommodate wheelchair users alongside
non-disabled
students

Resources to increase the ability of foreign language teachers and
administrators to
address the broad spectrum of language learners

November 5, 2007
2:00 pm - 3:30 pm EST

Free!

For more information and to register, go to:
www.miusa.org/ncde/spotlight/foreignlanguage/teletraining
or email [log in to unmask]

Relay conference captioning services provided

The Clearinghouse is sponsored by the United States Department of State
Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs and administered by Mobility
International USA

www.miusa.org/ncde
www.actfl.org

The attachment is a graphically designed version of this announcement.
If you would like a print-ready jpeg of this flyer for publishing in a
magazine, contact Michele Scheib at [log in to unmask]

Language Learning (http://iallt.org/), and The Consortium for Language Teaching
Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.