LLTI Archives

August 2007, Week 5

From:
Date:
Wed, 29 Aug 2007 15:24:07 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from David Kleinberg <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 11:23:21 -0400
>From: David Kleinberg <[log in to unmask]>
>To:  Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
<[log in to unmask]>,        [log in to unmask]

LLTI-Editor wrote:
> From: "Lauersdorf, Mark R" <[log in to unmask]>
> Date: August 24, 2007 6:54:47 PM EDT
>

> Hello all,
>
> I sent this query out about 2 weeks ago with no results.  Perhaps it
> fell into the just-before-it-all-breaks-loose-at-the-start-of-the-
> semester lull, or perhaps this isn't something that many of us have
> experience with...
>
> Either way, I would still appreciate any input that anyone can
> provide on the following:
>
> A colleague is looking for a hand-held scanner for library/archival
> work while on research trips.
>
> I have done a bit of legwork on the internet and it seems that many
> of the portable scanners are sheet-fed [which, of course, does not
> work for books - the archivist may frown on detaching individual
> pages from bound materials... ;-) ] or are designed first and
> foremost for automatic OCR rather than "simple imaging".
>
> My colleague would like to find a hand-held scanner that does high-
> quality *image* scans (or potentially .pdf) since she works with
> materials where there are likely to be illustrations in addition to
> text.  Any necessary OCR can, of course, be done from the images/pdfs
> at home.  She would be mating the scanner to a Mac laptop on her trips.
>
> Does anyone have any direct (perhaps field-tested) or even indirect
> experience with any of the better hand-helds out there?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help that you can provide us.
>
> Mark
>
> ----- end of message to be posted to LLTI ----
>
> Otmar Foelsche
> Director, Humanities Resources
> 6192 Bartlett Hall
> Dartmouth College
> Hanover, NH 03755-3530
> Phone: +1-603-646-8180
> Mobile: +1-617-851-5290
> Fax: +1-603-646-2712

>  LLTI is a service of IALLT, the International Association for
> Language Learning (http://iallt.org/), and The Consortium for Language
Teaching
> and Learning (http://www.languageconsortium.org/).
> Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.
> Otmar Foelsche, LLTI-Editor ([log in to unmask])

Logitech used to make exactly what you are looking for but that was many
years ago, and they seem to have gotten out of the scanning business.
A quick Google search of handheld scanners turns up the following.

Check out the DocuPen R700 Document Scanner for black and white:
http://the-gadgeteer.com/review/docupen_r700_handheld_scanner

or DocuPen RC800 Handheld Color Scanner for color scans:
http://the-gadgeteer.com/review/docupen_rc800_handheld_color_scanner

--
David Kleinberg, Ph.D.
Language Lab Director, Instructor of German