LLTI Archives

August 2007, Week 4

From:
Date:
Mon, 27 Aug 2007 13:40:21 -0400
From: "Lauersdorf, Mark R" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: August 24, 2007 6:54:47 PM EDT

Hello all,

I sent this query out about 2 weeks ago with no results.  Perhaps it
fell into the just-before-it-all-breaks-loose-at-the-start-of-the-
semester lull, or perhaps this isn't something that many of us have
experience with...

Either way, I would still appreciate any input that anyone can
provide on the following:

A colleague is looking for a hand-held scanner for library/archival
work while on research trips.

I have done a bit of legwork on the internet and it seems that many
of the portable scanners are sheet-fed [which, of course, does not
work for books - the archivist may frown on detaching individual
pages from bound materials... ;-) ] or are designed first and
foremost for automatic OCR rather than "simple imaging".

My colleague would like to find a hand-held scanner that does high-
quality *image* scans (or potentially .pdf) since she works with
materials where there are likely to be illustrations in addition to
text.  Any necessary OCR can, of course, be done from the images/pdfs
at home.  She would be mating the scanner to a Mac laptop on her trips.

Does anyone have any direct (perhaps field-tested) or even indirect
experience with any of the better hand-helds out there?

Thanks in advance for any help that you can provide us.

Mark

----- end of message to be posted to LLTI ----

Otmar Foelsche
Director, Humanities Resources