LLTI Archives

August 2007, Week 3

From:
Date:
Thu, 16 Aug 2007 14:37:00 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from "Dartmouth College LISTSERV Server (15.0)"

>Date:         Thu, 16 Aug 2007 10:27:49 -0400
>From: "Dartmouth College LISTSERV Server (15.0)"
>Subject: LLTI: approval required (D522F4C4)
>To: [log in to unmask]

This message was originally submitted by [log in to unmask] to the LLTI list at
LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU. You can  approve it using the "OK"  mechanism (click on
the link below), ignore  it, or repost an edited copy.  The message will expire
automatically; you do not  need to do anything if you just  want to discard it.
Please refer to  the list owner's guide  if you are not familiar  with the "OK"
mechanism;  these  instructions are  being  kept  purposefully short  for  your
convenience in processing large numbers of messages.

To APPROVE the message:
http://listserv.dartmouth.edu/scripts/wa.exe?OK=D522F4C4&L=LLTI
NERALLT 2007 Fall Meeting

"Web 2.0: Participatory Strategies for Language Learning"

October 25-26, 2007 - Saint Michael's College, Vermont

SECOND CALL FOR PRESENTATIONS

Extended Deadline August 31

We cordially invite submissions to the Fall meeting of the New England
Regional Association of Language Learning Technology, hosted by Saint
Michael's College in Colchester, Vermont on October 25 and 26, 2007. The
Fall Program Committee includes: Chair, Audrey Sartiaux (Union College);
Host, Susan Breeyear and John Graves (Saint Michael's College); and
committee member Barbara Lindsey (University of Connecticut).

This biennial meeting serves as a forum for stimulating and
disseminating pedagogical research and practical applications of
technology for the teaching and learning of foreign languages, and
provides a venue for language technologists and faculty to come together
and share new ideas.

Conference Theme

"Web 2.0: Participatory Strategies for Language Learning"

The Web 2.0 movement: What is it really? Is Web 2.0 just a label applied
to various web-based technologies, assembled under a general term for
practical reasons or does it signify a new wave of innovation for
teaching and learning at large and of languages in particular?

This meeting will examine the scope of the Web 2.0 movement, as well as
the theoretical and practical applications of its use in the development
of participatory strategies for language learning. According to Sarah
Lohnes and Charles Kinzer[1], many of the Web 2.0 components are an
integral part of the daily life of a Net Gen student, but strangely
enough, they are not always welcome by the same student in a classroom
environment. We will address how we can take advantage of Web 2.0
technologies to promote participatory learning, within and outside the
classroom, thus expanding the learning environment to the entire
(digital) world.

Proposals

We welcome proposal of a theoretical or practical nature on any aspect
of the academic use of Web 2.0 including but not limited to:

Social software and social networking tools: blogs, wikis, podcasting,
RSS feeds, web-based communities, discussion software, instant
messaging, and other tools for web-mediated communication.

Folksonomy or social bookmarking (i.e del.icio.us)

Send abstracts (up to 250 words) to Audrey Sartiaux at

Deadlines for submissions: August 31st

Contact Information

Questions regarding the program and call for papers should be sent to
the Program Chair: Audrey Sartiaux ([log in to unmask]), Director of the
Language Center, Union College.

For information about Saint Michael's college, please go to:
http://www.smcvt.edu/

For more information regarding NERALLT, and to become a member, please
go to: http://www.nerallt.unh.edu/

Audrey Sartiaux, Ph.D.

Director,  Multimedia Language Center

807 Union Street

Union College - Schaffer Library

Schenectady, NY 12308

Phone: (518) 388-6216

Fax: (518) 388-6641

[1] Lohnes, Sarah and Charles Kinzer ."Questioning Assumptions About
Students' Expectations for Technology in College Classrooms." Innovate
3.5, June-July 2007.
http://www.innovateonline.info/index.php?view=article&id=431

Language Learning (http://iallt.org/), and The Consortium for Language Teaching
Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.