LLTI Archives

August 2007, Week 2

From:
Date:
Fri, 10 Aug 2007 13:23:43 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from National Foreign Language Resource Center

>Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2007 12:28:02 -1000 (HST)
>From: National Foreign Language Resource Center <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: REMINDER: 2 position openings at the University of Hawaii (application
deadline - September 15)
>To: [log in to unmask]

University of Hawaii at Manoa, Department of Second Language Studies

Assistant or Associate Professors (2)

The Department of Second Language Studies, University of Hawaii at Manoa,
seeks to fill two tenure-track vacancies, both full time 9-month
positions, pending position availability and funding, to begin August 1,
2008.  The Department offers a Master of Arts in Second Language Studies,
and administers a PhD program in Second Language Acquisition and an
Advanced Graduate Certificate in Second Language Studies. A BA with an ESL
specialization is available through the University's Interdisciplinary
Program. Faculty have interests in a wide range of domains in second and
foreign language research.  For more information, visit our website:
http://www.hawaii.edu/sls

POSITION #82454. ASSISTANT PROFESSOR
Applicants should have major research interests and instructional
competence in technology and language learning & teaching (e.g.,
computer-assisted language learning; computer-mediated communication;
electronic and multimodal literacies; distance learning; emerging
technologies; and language courseware design and evaluation).
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Doctorate in second language acquisition, applied
linguistics or closely related field by August, 2008; demonstrated ability
to carry out research; second or foreign language teaching experience; and
evidence of excellent teaching ability at the university level.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS: Publication in journals and books; teaching
experience in a second language studies or equivalent graduate program;
ability to win competitive research funding; interest in the Asia-Pacific
region, including Asian and Pacific languages; and teacher education
experience.

POSITION #84105. ASSISTANT OR ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR
Applicants should have major research expertise and instructional
competence in psycholinguistics and cognitive psychology as they relate to
second language learning, processing, and instruction.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: For Assistant Professor, a doctorate in second
language acquisition, applied linguistics or closely related field by
August, 2008; demonstrated relevant research ability as evidenced by
publications; and evidence of teaching excellence. For Associate
Professor, in addition to these requirements, current appointment at that
rank.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS: Evidence of research productivity commensurate
with rank; prior teaching experience in a second language studies or
equivalent graduate program; second or foreign language teaching
experience; demonstrated ability to win competitive research funding;
interest in the Asia-Pacific region, including Asian and Pacific
languages.

DUTIES FOR BOTH POSITIONS:  Teach courses at the undergraduate and
graduate levels in the area of specialization in the Department of Second
Language Studies; conduct and publish research; participate fully in
supporting activities for academic programs, departmental governance, and
service to the University and community.

ANNUAL 9-MONTH SALARY RANGE, BOTH POSITIONS:  commensurate with experience

E-MAIL INQUIRIES:
Position #82454:  Dr. Lourdes Ortega, Chair of Search Committee
Position #84105:  Dr. Richard Schmidt, Chair of Search Committee

TO APPLY:  Applicants should submit letter of application, curriculum
vitae, list of courses taught, and sample publications.  In addition,
letters of reference should be submitted directly by three recommenders.

All application materials should be sent by September 15, 2007 to:
Richard R. Day, Chairman
Department of Second Language Studies
570 Moore Hall
1890 East-West Road
University of Hawaii
Honolulu, Hawaii  96822
USA

CLOSING DATE FOR BOTH POSITIONS: SEPTEMBER 15, 2007.

The University of Hawaii is an equal opportunity and affirmative action
employer.

  N           National Foreign Language Resource Center
   F          University of Hawai'i
    L         1859 East-West Road, #106
     R        Honolulu HI 96822
      C       voice: (808) 956-9424, fax: (808) 956-5983
              email: [log in to unmask]
VISIT OUR WEBSITE!   http://www.nflrc.hawaii.edu

Language Learning (http://iallt.org/), and The Consortium for Language Teaching
Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.