LLTI Archives

August 2007, Week 1

From:
Date:
Tue, 7 Aug 2007 14:58:22 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from Jim Holmes <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2007 13:27:18 -0700
>From: Jim Holmes <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: E-LangLab recording problems

Hi,
I'm new here so I hope this is the best forum for this
question.  At Reed College we are currently running
E-LangLab 10.2 software on Mac OS10.3.9.  We are having a
problem with the recording time at the student station
(client).  The green recording enabled light comes on early,
while the narrator is still reading, causing a faint echo in
the headphones as the sound from the headphone leaks into
the mic.  Furthermore the recording does not stay engaged
for the duration that the green light is on, resulting in a
recording that gets chopped off for the last second or so.
I've played with all the parameters in E-LangLab itself,
including lengthening/shortening the dead space, extending
the pause time, etc...  all to no avail.

Unfortunately the software developers refuse any sort of
assistance at this point because we have not paid the annual
$1200 maintenance fee, which is another story.  The bottom
line is I need to get this software functional before the
start of fall classes, so I can prove that it does in fact
work, getting faculty to use it, and subsequently justify
that annual maintenance fee, so that I can get assistance in
making the software functional.  As you can see, I'm in a
bit of a catch 22 here.  Any assistance on this matter would
be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim Holmes
IMC Manager