MACSCRPT Archives

August 2007

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Mark Lively <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Aug 2007 15:15:41 -0400
On Aug 16, 2007, at 2:05 PM, David Livesay wrote:

> Thank you all very much.
>
> This particular script is a wrapper for a bunch of shell script
> snippets (written before I got comfortable with shell scripting--if
> one can ever be said to be comfortable with shell scripting). So it
> looks like the text returned from the shell scripts is UTF-16.
> That's another surprise to me, because UTF-8 is a sort of universal
> Unix convention. Files you create by redirection (i.e. > or >>) are
> UTF-8, at least I think so. Of course, if you cat a file that's
> UTF-16 and redirect it to a file it should still be UTF-16 unless
> you do something to convert it. In this script it just logs the
> result of runpsynch.
>
> So what encoding does 'as string' give you, Mac Roman?

I think so.  It used to.  It only really matters for "high ascii" and
even then not so much.

I also think that some of it varies by system.  I ran tests on
different operating systems and for when I didn't specify the output
type they were written out the same.(all macroman or all utf8 not sure
which)