LLTI Archives

July 2007, Week 1

From:
Date:
Mon, 2 Jul 2007 14:09:42 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from Matthew Chmiel <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: Matthew Chmiel <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 17:21:15 -0400
>Subject: Re: #8580 Japanese Text Tracks in QuickTime movies

Hi Derek and List,

Have you tried writing your QT movie with SMIL coding?   SMIL offers several
options that support multilingual text displayed
on the screen.  Basically SMIL lets you put together a AV slideshow with
captions, and changing pictures, etc.  Here is the Mac
website for linking QT and SMIL coding - this particular link shows you how to
include different languages - click around to find
all the other info you need to finish it.

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/QuickTime/IQ_InteractiveMovies/index.ht
ml?http://developer.apple.com/
documentation/QuickTime/IQ_InteractiveMovies/quicktimeandsmil/chapter_10_section
_7.html

SMIL isn't that hard to do, but it is awkward the first time around.  Basically
you create the SMIL file (japaneseWord.smil) with
whatever Texteditor you code in, include all the specifications and things you
want (how many seconds the movie is, what
images you use, what words you write in the caption, etc).  When it is saved,
open the SMIL file with Quicktime.  It should
open and play fine.  Then you save it as a .MOV (so now it is:
japaneseWord.MOV).  This should work fine as well.  Then you
can embed your .mov on your webpage and play it.  Make sure to include all of
the files you blend together on your server (the
images, sound files, etc.) so every piece of the QT movie you created is
available.

Hope this helps.

Matt Chmiel
founder: www.languagedialer.com