MACSCRPT Archives

July 2007

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
John Baxter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jul 2007 23:08:55 -0700
On Jul 6, 2007, at 9:43 PM, Mark Lively wrote:

>> So, now you've been told a few times that URL Access may not be so
>> bad after
>> all.
>
> It probably isn't but I've gotten used to CURL.

For those who haven't "met" curl, here is the first portion of the
description part of the man page:

curl  is  a tool to transfer data from or to a server, using one of the
supported protocols (HTTP, HTTPS, FTP, FTPS, GOPHER, DICT, TELNET, LDAP
or FILE). The command is designed to work without user interaction.

curl offers a busload of useful tricks like proxy support, user authen-
tication, ftp upload, HTTP post,  SSL  (https:)  connections,  cookies,
file  transfer  resume  and  more.

So...there's a lot in there.  I haven't messed with URL Access, so I
can't compare.  (And while I've used curl, I've only used it for
simple things.)  I've also used wget, which we had in the days before
we got curl.

   --John