MACSCRPT Archives

July 2007

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Mark Lively <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Jul 2007 00:43:09 -0400
On Jul 6, 2007, at 10:10 PM, Stockly, Ed wrote:

> debug (with help from this list and AppleScript users). Partially
> based on
> its reputation, I wouldn't go so far as to recommend URL Access, but
> I have
> never had to force-quit it. Not once, and it runs daily on my mac and
> several other macs around the office. And it saves having to do more
> shell
> scripting, which has got to be good.

I've had some issues with it not doing things that I wanted it to.  As
for forced quitting, I only did that under OS 9.  It would lockup
waiting for a response about 1 time out of 200.

> I've never learned ps or killall. I'm pleased to say I don't even
> know what
> they are.

ps is a shell command to list processes.  killall is for getting rid
of processes, it kills all processes that belong to you with a
particular name.  Flags allow for wildcarding

> So, now you've been told a few times that URL Access may not be so
> bad after
> all.

It probably isn't but I've gotten used to CURL.

-Mark