MACSCRPT Archives

July 2007

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
"Stockly, Ed" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jul 2007 19:10:55 -0700
>>>Solved it, and it's really stupid.

>>Solved, yes, but for how long?

>>You've been told several times: unfortunately, URLAS is not reliable.
>>Sooner or later it will hang and you will have to force-quit it before it can
work again. How will you force-quit it? Probably with a shell script, using ps
and killall. So finally you're not learning url and instead you will learn
killall and ps.

I've had scripts using URL Access for years. They were a pain to write and
debug (with help from this list and AppleScript users). Partially based on
its reputation, I wouldn't go so far as to recommend URL Access, but I have
never had to force-quit it. Not once, and it runs daily on my mac and
several other macs around the office. And it saves having to do more shell
scripting, which has got to be good.

I've never learned ps or killall. I'm pleased to say I don't even know what
they are.

So, now you've been told a few times that URL Access may not be so bad after
all.

ES