MACSCRPT Archives

July 2007

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Emmanuel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jul 2007 16:27:34 +0200
At 10:08 AM -0400 7/6/07, Bill Steele wrote:
>>>Every example I see goes like this:
>>>
>>>set filepath to "disk:folder:filename"
>>>tell application "URL Access Scripting"
>>>	activate
>>>	download "http://blahdiblah.html" to filepath
>>>end tell
>>>
>>>I think I've even done it that way, although I can't find an
>>>example in my library.
>>>
>>>But it gives me "URL Access Scripting got an error: Some data was
>>>the wrong type."
>>>

>Solved it, and it's really stupid.
>
>Most anywhere else in Applescript, if you put in "replacing yes" the
>compiler will change it to "with replacing." So I was using "with
>replacing," and that gave no error on compiling.  Turns out URL
>Access Scripting wants "replacing yes."  Guess that's what happens
>when Apple develops different things on different days.

Solved, yes, but for how long?

You've been told several times: unfortunately, URLAS is not reliable.
Sooner or later it will hang and you will have to force-quit it
before it can work again. How will you force-quit it? Probably with a
shell script, using ps and killall. So finally you're not learning
curl and instead you will learn killall and ps.

Emmanuel