LLTI Archives

June 2007, Week 5

From:
Date:
Fri, 29 Jun 2007 13:37:44 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 10:26:57 -0600
>From: Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]>
>To: LLTI-Editor <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Japanese Text Tracks in QuickTime movies

I am having a problem with QuickTime Title Tracks.  I want to display a
Japanese word in the corner of various short QuickTime movies, along
with the English gloss of that word.  For example, one file would say
"Agemas" (in Hiragana) and below it, "to raise."

I can display English text as desired, but the Japanese comes out as a
string of meaningless Roman characters and punctuation.  This stream of
characters is consistent for a given Japanese word.  It also matches
what I see in a word processor, such as TextEdit, if I try to display
the hiragana with a font like Monaco.  So I think I have a font
substitution/character set problem.

I have set the text tags (descriptors) to various fonts (capable of
displaying Japanese), in the text file for the QuickTime Text Track.
Using Arial, for example, I can display the Hiragana fine in TextEdit,
but it comes up scrambled in the QuickTime movie.  Using some of the
Japanese fonts, such as Hiragino Mincho Pro or MS Mincho, I get no text
on the QuickTime movie- just the black background of the text box. Both
the English and the scrambled Japanese that displayed using Arial have
disappeared.

I have set the language: tag and the encoding tag to Japanese and utf-8
in various combinations.  Some settings seem to have no effect, while
others eliminate the text, as described above.  I have TextEdit set to
import and export as UTF-8.  My problem seems to be getting QuickTime
to evaluate display the characters as the proper Unicode set.

If you can offer me any suggestions, I would be grateful. Other
techniques would also be welcome.  I have tried inserting the words as
iMovie titles, with and without third-party title plugins.  In both
cases, the text in the resulting QuickTime movie is too ragged and
unclear for the professor's tastes.

Thanks,

Derek

Derek Roff