LLTI Archives

June 2007, Week 2

From:
Date:
Wed, 13 Jun 2007 15:21:19 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 12:07:52 -0600
>From: Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>Subject: Re: #8561.4 (!) Time Line in Audio Players

Thank you, Trip, and others who commented on my media player interface
musings.  I will investigate the various links and examples that you
mentioned.

As far as my idealized interface, I'm not sure where I would try to draw
the line between ease of use and power.  I imagined the "traveling
rectangle" playhead (described in my last message) as a button-like device,
rather than a magnifying glass.  Limiting it to jumping forward or back in
two fixed intervals would make it simpler for the user (and the
programmer).  However, I am attracted to the magnifying glass metaphor.
I'm not sure how much harder this would be to program, nor whether users
would care about being able to make time jumps of other time intervals, for
example three or seven seconds.  I think I would like it.

Thanks again,

Derek

--On Tuesday, June 12, 2007 6:07 PM -0400 Trip Kirkpatrick
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Derek:
>
> Are you thinking of the travelling rectangle as a magnifying glass, or
> as a widget with time represented within it the same way it's
> represented outside?
>
> Jumping off from your post, it occurred to me that a possible audio
> player interface is suggested by MIT's Timeline
> (http://simile.mit.edu/timeline/) JavaScript application.

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center
Ortega Hall 129, MSC03-2100