LLTI Archives

June 2007, Week 2

From:
Date:
Thu, 14 Jun 2007 18:56:20 -0400
Gong stores audio as WAV so there is very little compression involved (this
is good and bad). Incidently, this morning I was testing out the next
release which will include podcasting functionality. One can enable a
message board to be an accessible podcast with one click! Anyway, the Gong
project has some rough estimates posted for your IT people (
http://gong.ust.hk/doc_faq.html):

How much space do I need for the Gong server?

The Gong server installation requires around 60Mb hard disk space. By
estimating the amount of space used by voice messages we can give a rough
idea on how much space a Gong server needs over a fixed period.

Assume you are running a course for a year and there are 50 students in the
course, and each student leaves a 5 minutes voice message in the system
every week. Then the required disk space is:

Disk space required for a 5 minutes message ~= 2Mb
Number of messages per student in the course = 52 messages
Total amount of space used = 2Mb * 52 messages * 50 students ~= 5G

Using a similar estimation, if each student leaves a message on the board
every day the amount of space required would be:

Total amount of space used = 2Mb * 365 messages * 50 students ~= 36G

Even if a student leaves message every day, which is extremely rare, the
total size of disk space required is not huge compared to the typical size
of hard disk nowadays.
--
Tony Beld, Ph.D.
Director, Language Technology Center