MACSCRPT Archives

June 2007

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
john darnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jun 2007 16:08:32 -0500
I have an Applescript that has this line of code in it:

	do shell script shellscripttext

When shellscripttext is examined, it contains this:

zip  -g -r  -v /Volumes/programbkup/John/Mac/20070626/FridayBackup_20070626.zip   -x \*.o /source\ code/InDesign\ CS3/*

This linen of code causes the Applescript to fail.

If I take that same line to a Terminal prompt, I can replicate the failure.  If I take out the "-x \*.o" string, the zip command executes just fine.  If I modify the Applescript to perform the same chore, I get the same result (i.e. the script runs).  The "-x \*.o" comes straight out of an example in the man page for zip, including its placement in the command.  Nevertheless, I am doing something wrong.  Can anyone help?

TIA!

R,
John

P.S.  For those of you who remember that yesterday it was Stuffit, I received several answers to my Stuffit query, tried them all (except for John Delacour's--sorry, John, by the time I had received it, I had already changed course) and none of them made a difference.  I decided that if Stuffit could not make a product intuitively easy to script, and wouldn't provide documentation for that feature other than a vague scripting dictionary, then I would  use something else that was.  So far, using the zip command in a "do shell script" statement is working much better.  I have about two thirds of what I want to get backed up, backing up.  To those who tried to help with Stuffit, thanks!  Though I didn't use that solution, I still appreciate your willingness to help me out. --John