LLTI Archives

May 2007, Week 4

From:
Date:
Tue, 22 May 2007 13:21:31 -0400
from [log in to unmask]

Apologies in advance for what must be a silly newbie question:

I'm the new part-time coordinator for the language lab in the intensive
English program here at Iowa State, where we have a ton of old paper- and
cassette-based materials that are collecting dust on our shelves.

The director has asked about the possibility of transferring the reading,
listening and test-preparation material into digital form and making it
available to our students via the lab computers. Assuming this stuff is all
copyright-protected, I suppose this would not be legal, even if we could
control access so that students could use the material only while in the
lab. Am I correct in assuming so? And if so, is there something else we
could do with this material so it does not go to waste?

On a related note: can anyone direct me to a good copyright-law primer which
spells things like this out for language-lab managers?

Many thanks,

--
Jim Ranalli
Ross 353