LLTI Archives

May 2007, Week 2

From:
Date:
Wed, 9 May 2007 14:59:54 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from "scott brill" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "scott brill" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: estimating video production time
>Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 09:49:52 -0700

Bob,
We have experience creating the University of Arizona Critical Languages
Series (CLS) which contain video similar to the type you mention.  See
examples at http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=uaclp .

Our videos tend to be an average of 3 minutes long, total runtime approx 60
minutes per product.
We use 2 to 3 takes per video.
For each 30 minutes of video, we spend 1 day in rehearsal and 2 days
shooting.  The author and the actors rehearse together. The script always
gets changed a little bit during rehearsal.  The actors usually write the
scripts on easel pads because with Less Commonly Taught Languages, it can be
difficult to use a teleprompt.  The author co-directs the taping with
another person who runs the camera and audio.  We use a "blue screen"
background and spend a lot of time optimizing the audio quality.

Scott Brill
Research Engineer, University of Arizona
Computer Aided Language Instruction Group/Critical Languages Program
http://cali.arizona.edu