LLTI Archives

May 2007, Week 2

From:
Date:
Mon, 14 May 2007 11:13:22 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from "Luz Forero" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Subject: RE: #8536. 1-4 (!) Second Life
>Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 12:35:46 -0700
>From: "Luz Forero" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum"

Dear Brenda,

I joined Second Life several months ago, but have not fully explored how
to use it. One thing that has held me back is the discomfort of not
knowing the true identities of others in that environment -- but I guess
that is the attraction of it for many people! The other stumbling block
is that it seems that it would require a good chunk of time to
understand how to use it and none of us seem to have a lot of that.

I'd like to propose that those of us who are interested in Second Life
exchange our avatar's names off-line and then try to meet on the program
to see for ourselves, in a non-intimidating, safe environment, how it
works. I, too, like LeeAnn, am looking forward to the sesson at IALLT on
it, but it might be helpful to get our feet wet with it before IALLT so
that we have better questions to ask about it.

Please let me know what you all think.

Luz Forero
Occidental College