LLTI Archives

May 2007, Week 2

From:
Date:
Mon, 14 May 2007 11:13:25 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from "Douglas W. Canfield" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 21:19:33 -0400
>Subject: Re: #8536 Second Life
>From: "Douglas W. Canfield" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum

Vivox is one option for SL voice chat. Three other popular in-world options
are Second Talk (www.secondtalk.com), a Skype-based tool, Ventrillo
(www.ventrillo.com) and TeamSpeak (www.goteamspeak.com). Of course, Second
Life will soon have integrated voice chat...there is a beta trial out now,
and it will hopefully be available by the time we all meet @ IALLT in
Boston.  Anyone with the new seamless feature enabled will be able to hear
voice conversations in their immediate proximity, conduct personal voice
chat, or group voice chat.

Brenda, you can contact me off-list if you can't wait to get started, but I
can tell you that based on what we have been doing on an ad-hoc basis in
French and Spanish courses @ UT, our university is seriously considering a
major investment of land and infrastructure to support things that we want
to do but need these resources to pull off. It will be nice to have that,
but you definitely do not need to make these kind of investments to have SL
enhance your courses.

I also suggest listening in to Barbara's podcast on Thursday or coming to
IALLT in Boston...there are several sessions dealing with several aspects of
SL and other virtual environments/games.

DOUG

On 5/9/07 2:59 PM, "LLTI-Editor" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> --- Forwarded Message from Brenda Bertrand <[log in to unmask]> ---
>
>> Date: Tue, 08 May 2007 19:21:26 +0000 (GMT)
>> From: Brenda Bertrand <[log in to unmask]>
>> Subject: Second Life
>> To: [log in to unmask]
>
> Has anyone joined the Second Life Campus?  Apparently, you can do live voice
> chatting with Vivox.  There are also many regional areas (Japanese, Italian,
> Spanish, French) where students can interact with native speakers.  I'm
> looking into it, but would love some feedback if anyone else has tried this.
>  I'm still not convinced that the pedagogical benefits are worth the cost
> and the training that would go into this kind of venture.
>
> I'd appreciate any comments on this.
>
> Thank you,
> Brenda Bertrand
> Director, Foreign Language Learning Center
> Wittenberg University

>  LLTI is a service of IALLT, the International Association for
> Language Learning (http://iallt.org/), and The Consortium for Language
> Teaching
> and Learning (http://www.languageconsortium.org/).
> Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.
> Otmar Foelsche, LLTI-Editor ([log in to unmask])

Douglas W. Canfield
Coordinator III, Language Resource Center
Dept. of Modern Foreign Languages and Literatures
University of Tennessee - Knoxville
IALLT Distributions Coordinator / Interim Managing Editor
http://web.utk.edu/~dcanfie1/

<< L'homme ne peut pas decouvrir de nouveaux oceans a moins qu'il ait le
courage de perdre le rivage de vue. >> - Andre GIDE