LLTI Archives

May 2007, Week 1

From:
Date:
Tue, 1 May 2007 13:11:47 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from Roberto Perez <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 01 May 2007 09:06:39 -0400
>To: [log in to unmask]
>From: Roberto Perez <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: saving positive/negative film

Hi all,

There has been exchanges in the past discussing how to transfer old
analog audio tapes to digital formats (wav, aiff) so as to preserve
those materials. There has been similar (though fewer) discussions on
how to transfer old VHS tapes to digital formats (avi, mpg) for
similar preservation purposes.

Now I'd like to ask about transferring old slides/negative film into
digital format (e.g., jpg) for the purposes of preserving those
materials. For example:
1- would you get better results scanning your paper printouts, or
scanning your negatives?
2- if the second, would would be a good resolution? 600 dpi? 1200
dpi? If I use the larger resolution, but then I want to post that
picture on a website, I'm afraid too much resizing may affect quality
in a noticeable way. On the other hand, if I use a smaller
resolution, and then  I want a larger paper printout, the (lower)
quality due to resizing would also be noticeable...
3- What about the scanning size? 4x6? 7x9? The same concerns as above
regarding potential resizing needs would apply...
4- If you have your negatives, and you have your scanned pictures,
and you want a printout, would one source (e.g., negatives vs.
digital copy) provide any advantage over the other? In other words,
would a printout created from the actual negative have any advantage
over a printout generated from a digital copy (assuming a good
quality digital version), or viceversa?
5- Once you get your digital versions, is it ok to dispose of the
negatives (as, I assume, you dispose of the analogue tapes once they
have been converted to digital format)? I'm trying to think what
having the negatives would allow me to do (that the digital copies
wouldn't), but then again, if I had taken those pictures with a
digital camera there wouldn't even be any negatives anyway...

Any ideas, pointers, suggestions, will be appreciated.

Regards,

Roberto Perez

Language Learning (http://iallt.org/), and The Consortium for Language Teaching
Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.