LLTI Archives

May 2007, Week 1

From:
Date:
Wed, 2 May 2007 14:13:52 -0400
(1)        from      [log in to unmask]

I highly recommend the Olympus DS-2 which records in stereo and works
on both a PC and Mac -- about $150.00

Trevor

++++++++++

(2)     from     [log in to unmask]

Hello;

I've been very happy with the Sony ICD-P320.

It comes with software and a USB cable to upload recordings.

I used it to record podcasts for an on-line Spanish class: It worked well.

Cost was around $60.

Best,
Karl Fisher
Visiting Lecturer of Spanish
NCCU
Durham, NC

++++++++++

(3)     from      [log in to unmask]

I've been a fan of the mini-Disc for (could it be?) fifteen years.  But
this format is at the end of its life.  I would be hesitant to start a
new project with a fading technology, unless the project is short term.
If you currently have a working mini-Disc recorder (and a backup), then
using it in Italy might be fine.  If the choice is between buying a new
mini-Disc recorder and buying a current generation flash-card based
digital recorder, I'd opt for the latter.  Even if the cost is higher.

Derek

++++++++++

(4)      from      [log in to unmask]

> On her next trip to Italy an instructor would like to take a small
> portable
> audio recorder to record native speakers. She suggested a mini-disk
> recorder.

I would strongly suggest a flash player.

> I'm wondering if one of the new digital recorders might be a better
> option--one
> such as the Zoom H4 Handy 4 Track Recorder or the Edirol R-09.

I did a bit of research on this earlier this year, and went to my pro
audio dealer to try out the Marantz PMD660 and the Edirol R-09.

The Edirol felt flimsy, and the tiny slider buttons on the demo unit
had already come loose and jiggled back and forth changing settings
when the unit was tilted.  The display was small, not many LED
segments for metering.  I was not in favor of this unit (especially
for its use in a very hot and humid location), but because of its
small size and the need for discreet recording, it was chosen.
AFAIK, it has not failed yet.

I would recommend the Marantz.  They've made portable recorders for
*many* years, in fact I used one of their portable cassette recorders
30 years ago when I was news editor at public radio station.  This
unit feel sturdy, has nice LEDs, external mic inputs with phantom
power I believe.  It also has built in mics.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PMD660/

A friend had the Zoom and had no problems (he took it to Italy, btw,
but for recording his music compositions) but I don't have any
experience with it.

> However, these may be more than she needs,

There is no way they are more than what she needs.

> and they are expensive.

Expensive compared to what?  What is the value of getting proper
recordings?  What is the cost of her flight to Europe?

> Very good quality sound is important.

With proper use, any of the three units mentioned will provide good
spoken voice quality.  It's all about understanding the unit,
positioning of it relative to the speaker(s), environment, not
bumping it, not driving the levels into digital distortion (that's
the first problem most beginners have) -- it's not an analog
recorder, etc. She should read the manual, understand all the
functions, practice for at least 8 or more hours with it, note her
input level settings relative to digital recording levels, listen
back critically, etc., etc.

And buy plenty of 2GB memory chips, offload to computer each day, and
move to a server or burn DVDs and store them in a safe place.

I don't mean to sound harsh, I've just been down this path so many
times, and people need to know these things.

Bob Majors
Language Learning Center
University of Washington

++++++++++

(5)     from      [log in to unmask]

Hi David,

We have an Edirol and love it. If you go that route, you will want to
do some setup for the faculty member (establishing file format, etc.
which can be a little tricky). After that, however, use is very
simple -- just press on the "record" button twice (the first press
puts you in "record/pause" mode with a flashing red light, the second
push gives you the solid red recording light). Buy either one very
large, or several smaller memory cards, have a supply of spare
batteries, and you are good to go. We bought a 2GB card and it has
worked well for our needs, although we don't have faculty using it in
the field.

Judi
Judi Franz, Director
Humanities Instructional Resource Center
http://www.humanities.uci.edu/hirc
(949) 824-4500       Skype ID: judifranz

++++++++++

(6)     from      [log in to unmask]

Hi

We at the University of Alberta have had quite good success with the
Olympus Digital recorders. They are small light weight and record in WMA
format so they can cram a lot (8+ hours) of material onto the memory
card. This is a compressed format and for many field situations it is
adequate and the recorders cost us about $250 CAD. If your prof needs to
record in WAV format or something else to keep the quality as high as
possible then you are looking at the Zoom, Edirol or the new Fostex FR-2
LE, which is a really good unit. We have found it to be the most robust,
easiest to use, most felxible solution. About $600 - $1000USD so it is
pricey.

Hope that helps.

Mr. Clare Peters

Multimedia/Electronics Technician
142 Arts Building
University of Alberta
Edmonton, AB, T6G 2E6
Ph: 780-492-2103
Fax: 780-492-9112
Email: [log in to unmask]

+++++++++++

(7)     from     [log in to unmask]

David,

You may want to consider one of the iPod recorder add-ons.  Here at
CMU we are testing an iPod Nano with the xtrememac micromemo
recorder.  So far it has worked well.  The combination costs $300
depending on where you purchase the components.  I have recorded
faculty meetings with

One additional advantage of the iPod is you can use iTunes to manage
the recordings and use something like Audacity to edit the files.

Marc Siskin
Manager, Modern Language Resource Center
Carnegie Mellon University

Language Learning (http://iallt.org/), and The Consortium for Language Teaching
Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.