MACSCRPT Archives

May 2007

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
"Gary (Lists)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 May 2007 09:00:25 -0400
"Chuck Pelto" wrote:

> The idea of a SOUND FILE on such a disc had not crossed my mind, but
> you DO have a fascinating idea there. THANKS!!!!!

Yes, the unsighted are often an afterthought in the dissemination of public
information.

> Printing books thick enough to contain the information would be cost
> prohibitive. Putting the information on a DVD that people could page
> through on a DVD player attached to their television, should they
> lack a computer, seems like a reasonable alternative....provide we've
> got electricity. However, I suspect we'd have such for a while. Long
> enough for people to read the information and act on it.

On the one hand, you sketch a scenario where electricity service
continuation is unknown ("I suspect we'd have such for a while. Long enough
for...").  In such a circumstance, it seems that paging through 40+ pages is
counter-productive.  I have used DVD page-by-page to review movie scripts
and such and it is very slow, on commercial DVD's.

In the "pande[mic][monium]" scenario you roughly outline, /sound/ is far
more useful than clicking a remote to scroll pages in an online book.  (Have
you seen the scaling issues present in these DVD 'page' examples?  In order
to view the text, the zoom factor prevents the entire page.  Not only do we
have to 'turn' pages, we also have to 'scroll' the page around to get it
all.)

Either a too-rough sketch is provided here (which is fine and appropriate)
or the model is sufficiently flawed that it warrants further (technical)
consideration.

--
Gary