MACSCRPT Archives

May 2007

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
"Stockly, Ed" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 May 2007 19:21:14 -0700
>>> That was(is) not the problem - unfortunately. The problem is to get the file
size of a file which is still growing  to do the next step with file after the
file is complete written to disk. All ways of doing that fail if the file name
is longer than 31 characters, all of them work if not. That's a little odd I
think.

>>>I tried a shell script, get eof, size of (info). Always same behaviour.

When you say these "fail" what happens?

What is the "same behavior" exibited by shell script, get eor and size of?

Do they generate errors? Do they not return an accurate result?

How large are these files? Are they local or network? Are they being sent to
their location via FTP or some other process?

Are you using aliases or strings with the appleScript commands?

I've found that the file commands (open and write at least) seem to be more
reliable if you're passing aliases as opposed to strings, but that may be my
imagination.

Alias "drive:dir:file"

As opposed to

File "drive:dir:file"

Also it might help if you could provide a sample of a command that actually
fails, complete with file name and path.

By the way, I subscribe to digest on both lists but didn't see your original
message on either.

ES