MACSCRPT Archives

May 2007

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Bill Steele <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 May 2007 17:10:08 -0400
>I think I see what Bill means. The minimum you have to do to get a
>piece of text out of a XML is: XMLOpen to open the document, then
>XMLRoot to get a reference to the root node, then XMLFind (or other
>commands) to get a reference to the node you want, and finally
>XMLGetText to get the text (or XMLGetAttribute to get an attribute's
>value.)
>
>You have to get used to it.
>
>Emmanuel

Actually I've gotten the XML tools OSAX to work nicely (thank you
very much!).  Just wondering if System Events would be easier.

And while I'm here, a question about that:  the script errors trying
to get data from elements named <date>. Looking the file in IE
returns "Whitespace not allowed."  Whitespace being defined,
apparently, as slashes or dashes. So I renamed it <ddate> and both
the script and IE are happy. These are just text files, not stuff on
the web with a DTD.  So apparently standard processing of XML expects
fields named <date> to conform to type?

Also complains about an ampersand in a description field. What other
characters will trip it up?

Any way to avoid these things without preprocessing the file?
--

Bill Steele