MACSCRPT Archives

May 2007

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Mark Lively <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 May 2007 13:46:09 -0400
What results are you seeing?

There is no real way to know the actual size of a file that is being
written.  You can get the allocated size with ls -s

cat /dev/urandom > reallylongfilenameshoopshoopdedoop.dat

$ ls -s reallylongfilenameshoopshoopdedoop.dat
8328 reallylongfilenameshoopshoopdedoop.dat
$ ls -s reallylongfilenameshoopshoopdedoop.dat
10064 reallylongfilenameshoopshoopdedoop.dat
$ls -s reallylongfilenameshoopshoopdedoop.dat
15312 reallylongfilenameshoopshoopdedoop.dat