MACSCRPT Archives

May 2007

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Walter Ian Kaye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 May 2007 00:38:58 -0700
At 12:10 a -0700 05/04/2007, John Baltutis didst inscribe upon an
electronic papyrus:

>On 05/03/07, Richard Meyeroff <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>>  I was curious what the AppleScript Guru's think of the MacTech April
>>  Issue that contains the VBA>Applescript section?
>
>It'll really p**s off a lot of Office for Mac users if they have to
>relearn how to make macros work in the frothcoming Office 2008,
>especially when the AS scripts can't be invoked from within the
>documents. I have a single standalone Excel macro that I launch and
>use via keyboard shortcuts within many investment tracking
>trworksheets and I'm having a hard time getting a handle on how to
>convert it and use it as an applescript in Excel. Paul put a lot of
>work on it, but wrote it from an AS perspective and not from an
>Office app user perspective. I suspect that, outside a business
>environment, many personal computer users won't upgrade to Office
>2008 if they have a substantial investment in current macros.

Luckily I've always barfed at the sight of dot-notation languages
(VB, JS, UT) so I never bothered to learn VBA. Even in Excel 200x I
still write my macros in XLM. It's an easy language, and has worked
great for 20 years. So I don't have to relearn anything. :-)

In my view, the making of AppleScript as the de facto scripting
language in Office is fantastic news. It really should have been done
instead of VBA in the first place, but probably some corporate people
demanded VBA on the Mac side and so AS got short shrift. Now that is
finally being rectified, and we are getting a Microsoft app that
really *is* designed with the Mac as focus, not Windows.