LLTI Archives

April 2007, Week 4

From:
Date:
Fri, 27 Apr 2007 14:28:42 -0400
Hi Lauren,

We have a bit of experience in this area ;) so here's what I'd recommend:

Basic equipment:

- microphone attachment that snaps onto the bottom (ideally one that also
has a speaker inside. We use the Belkin. The Xtreme mac accessory is more
flexible but is more easily broken).
- iPod AV cable, to be able to plug the iPod into a classroom projection
system or TV for playback of video, audio and photo display
- lapel microphone that can be connected through the microphone attachment
passthrough, to allow recording without having to hang onto the iPod
(makes for less intimidating recording in some circumstances)
- (in the absence of classroom playback system) iPod speakers - Bose are
high end with great quality, others such as Altec aren't as high end but
give good enough quality in most circumstances.
- good, basic hard case to protect the iPod

Nice to have:
- power brick attachment so you can charge the iPod faster than what you
get with the USB cable
- small, portable ipod speakers

Beyond that, there is some software that would be useful to prep materials
for iPod use, and an insane array of accessories to meet every possible
need and then some, but the basics would take you a long way (I still like
the iGuy, although he's kind of outdated now).

I hope this helps!
Samantha

Samantha Earp
Head, Instructional Media & Language Technology Services
CIT Project Manager, Duke Digital Initiative
Duke Center for Instructional Technology

Language Learning (http://iallt.org/), and The Consortium for Language Teaching
Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.