LLTI Archives

April 2007, Week 2

From:
Date:
Tue, 10 Apr 2007 14:00:00 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from Jami Fisher Clark <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2007 12:02:08 -0400
>From: Jami Fisher Clark <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask],        Nelleke Van Deusen-Scholl
>Subject: ASL recordings/lab question

Hello!

I was forwarded an email from the Director of Penn Language Center
regarding a question about an ASL lab for recording.

I wanted to share with you what our program does here for ASL recording
and expressive ASL projects.

We have a Digital Recording Booth set up in our Multi Media Services
center that is only for ASL recording.  It is a small booth with a
bullet camera, digital video recorder, and monitor so students can see
themselves signing.  They bring a DVD (minus R) with them and record
themselves (sometimes multiple tracks) based on specific assignments
given to them by their instructors.  They make reservations through the
  Multi Media Services on-line reservation calendar and show up at their
designated time(s).

This has greatly streamlined and simplified the recording process.  It
doesn't require 1 (or 20) computer(s), it doesn't take up memory on a
computer, it doesn't require any faculty or staff attention for
recording, and it doesn't use bulky VHS tapes that are cumbersome for
students and teachers alike!

In addition, because the recording medium is digital, we are able to use
the recording tracks in other capacities to inform teaching.  For
example, we upload links onto BlackBoard for student review/revision for
tracking language growth and learning from peers.  There are really many
uses for this kind of technology.

If you have questions about this method/equipment/technology, please
feel free to contact me.

Thank you!
Jami Clark
--