LLTI Archives

April 2007, Week 2

From:
Date:
Thu, 12 Apr 2007 14:29:13 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from "Detiveaux, Georges J"

>Subject: RE: #8502 Sign Language LAb setup
>Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 07:45:05 -0500
>From: "Detiveaux, Georges J" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum"

Hi there,

We have a 25-station Sony/SANS Virtuoso Major Lab with the ASL plug that
was just installed for use beginning this semester. After a little
tweaking (mostly adjustments to Windows configurations, memory
allocation, memory upgrading, and a more realistically sized network
switch), the system works just fine.

Just after the vendor initially installed the product, we were having
problems with lots of error messages and were pretty much unable to do
many of things for which we bought it, but since then, mostly thanks to
the efforts of our SANS sales rep / technician (who has always been
available with instant solutions & immediate troubleshooting), we are
now able to perform all of the tasks our students and instructors want
to do (pairing, intercom, recording a video... or audio... response
while listening to audio... or watching  a video... stimulus, etc.). I
guess those kinds of problems are part and parcel with a new setup of a
fairly new product.

My suggestions for anyone considering addressing ASL needs would be to
be sure to have the fastest, most up-to-date student stations and
networking capabilities you can possibly get (our computers are only
three years old and needed memory upgrades), make sure that your campus
I.T. folks are aware of the kinds of tasks the equipment will enable
(the network switch requirements especially): I suspect that had our
computers been brand new, right-out-of the box and had our networking
capabilities been up to snuff we wouldn't have encountered many of the
initial difficulties (my folks think the system requirements are just me
crying wolf!).

Finally, make sure that you're not just getting webcams, but high
quality NTSC-type cameras that can produce nice video (and not grainy,
slow web-type video) without having the user back up too far away from
the station in order to have a decent sign space (which is what our
users had to put up with before we got the SANS ASL lab).

Hope this helps...

Georges Detiveaux

Language Lab Coordinator / Lead French Faculty

Cy-Fair College, LRNC-212A

9191 Barker Cypress Road

Cypress, TX  77433

http://faculty.nhmccd.edu/gdetiveaux

phone 281.290.5975

fax 281.290.5282

"Die Grenzen meiner Sprache bedeuten die Grenzen meiner Welt."  (L.
Wittgenstein, Tractatus logico-philosophicus)