LLTI Archives

April 2007, Week 1

From:
Date:
Fri, 6 Apr 2007 10:18:15 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from "Richard Laden" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Richard Laden" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "LLTI-Editor" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: LangLab 2.1  release available (ADVTSG)
>Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 13:14:33 -0700

     Conference activities have somewhat delayed the announcement, but I'd like
LLTI readers to know that last month we made the 2.1 release of LangLab
available on our site  http://www.elanglab.com as the downloadable demo, in both
Windows and OS X versions. The installer contains all modules and updated
documentation. A link to release notes is on our download page, so that one can
see what has changed before actually downloading the demo.
     For those not yet familiar with LangLab, our software turns any computer
lab or classroom with laptops into a language lab and is also usable over the
Internet. The platform rather than lesson content, LangLab contains authoring
tools that let teachers plan lessons and assemble instructional resources or
create new resources, for any language at any level. Students learn faster
because lessons allow integrated teaching of all language skills and bring
interactivity to multimedia material; LangLab delivers these lessons to students
engaged in either individual self-paced work or pair and group work. One key
distinction between LangLab and self-contained CD/DVD material is that LangLab
creates durable files of students' recordings and their typed responses; it
supports student-teacher interaction, allowing both real-time monitoring by an
instructor or later retrieval and assessment of a student's work., with comments
inserted at any point in students' recordings as targeted feedback. LangLab is
still, apparently, the only cross-platform solution with comparable
functionality--a significant consideration for institutions that would like to
augment instructional time by having students use it for homework, as well as
for faculty who may happen to own Macs and wish to prepare lessons or evaluate
students' work from home. It is also by far the most affordable solution of its
type.

     Regards,

     Richard Laden
Dr. Richard A. Laden