LLTI Archives

March 2007, Week 4

From:
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2007 13:14:40 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from Christopher Jones <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 08:12:22 -0400
>Subject: French Online update
>From: Christopher Jones <[log in to unmask]>
>To: editor llti <[log in to unmask]>

Elementary French Online is a course developed at Carnegie Mellon University
in the context of the Open Learning Initiative (OLI), with additional
support from the National Science Foundation through the Pittsburgh Science
of Learning Center. The course is web-based and can be adapted for a blended
delivery system (face-to-face and on-line) or a purely distance delivery.
Hallmarks of the course include a carefully chunked and highly interactive
presentation of French language and culture and a media-rich course
environment including new video shot in France with professional actors. A
publicly available version intended for independent learners can be accessed
at http://www.cmu.edu/oli.

French Online is now seeking instructors to use the course without charge at
their institutions. The course is now being offered at Carnegie Mellon and
the University of Pittsburgh. The Open Learning Initiative has a yearly
summer workshop where instructors can be funded to learn how to teach in
this environment. For larger institutions where multi-section offerings are
being considered, the OLI will consider requests for onsite training. An
instructor manual is under preparation that will be available as a PDF
download. Instructor DVDs of course video will also be available at minimal
cost.

Using the course for class instruction includes the following steps:
* Go to the OLI site at  <http://www.cmu.edu/oli>  and verify that the
course is appropriate for your needs.
* Fill out an information request at the above site.
* Correspond with OLI or course authors about information needs.
* Attend the summer workshop if possible.
* Create your own class-specific version of the course at least 4 weeks in
advance.

Christopher Jones of Carnegie Mellon University is Project director and
co-author along with Sophie Queuniet and Bonnie Youngs of Carnegie Mellon,
and Heather Allen of the University of Miami. Marc Siskin of Carnegie Mellon
is technical lead.

Language Learning (http://iallt.org/), and The Consortium for Language Teaching
Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.